I started this project because I feel the topic of body image is something everybody can relate to, regardless of gender or age. I tied it in with the theme of aesthetics as it is something I am interested and it links in with body image. I feel the issue needs to be promoted more as people sometimes don't realise the things that come along with negative body image.
Explain how you gathered research? (internet, photographs, objects etc)
I gathered research using resources such as the internet and magazines. I also took some photographs inspired by the topic and then using the combined sources created mood boards with various other textures involved. I feel the mood boards were useful in gaining ideas of what I could create.
Explain which artists, designers or illustrators you have researched:
I researched a variety of artists, from just looking at various ones that do poster designs or professional graphic designers and illustrators. 'Atipo' was a graphic designer and photographer from spain who I briefly researched, as well as talented German illustrator Peggy Wolf who inspired some of my collages. Natalie Perkins was also another illustrator I used who's quirky illustrations focused on the topic of body image, but with a sense of humour. Neville Brody was the last one, a talented graphic designer who inspired a lot of my digital work.
Explain what source material they use:
The different artists and designers have very different styles and find inspiration in many different ways, from looking in magazines, observing people in the street, books, film, current affairs, music and more. One of the illustrators I researched - Peggy Wolf, finds source material in colours, shapes and compositions for example.
Explain how they use computers and related technologies to produce their outcomes:
Photoshop and Illustrator are predominately used, combined with hand made creations that are brought in using a scanner. A lot of stuff is actually done by hand initially, then combined digitally with a lot of different textures, layers etc and given a professional finish using these programs.
Explain how their work influenced your own:
These artists and designers have influenced me a lot. For example, Neville Brody has inspired me to play with compostions and font a lot as previously I had not before. If you look at my collages, mood boards, and final designers, you can see how they have developed.
Explain how you developed your ideas:
I developed my ideas by first making some mood boards, and a variety of collages. Once I completed this I gained some confidence with using the different computer tools, and then created artist research sheets. After doing this, I used my own photographs and played around with them, different textures and backgrounds. Eventually I gained some kind of idea of how I wanted my final design to look and related it to my theme.
I produced my final design based on my collages, but instead with my own pictures. I used the figure in my photographs to be the main image in my design, and then sourced backgrounds, textures and font to piece it together.
Reflect on how successful you think your final outcome is in answering your brief:
I think my final outcome is successful in answering the brief as promotes awareness, and in a positive way. I wanted to create something that would not intimidate people, and for it to be something they would want to willingly look at. I think it is suitable for my youthful audience, and also visually appealing so therefore a success.
Explain what you feel were the main advantages and disadvantages of using the computer and related technologies to produce the final design:
I think one of the main advantages of using a computer was that the outcome was fast and gave a professional look. Having access to a variety of tools, software and hardware was also a bonus as you don't have these when creating things by hand. However, I think a disadvantage would be that some things are simply easier and quicker to create by hand. I wanted a collage/hand-made look to my final design and could not achieve this by solely using the computer and technology. I would say I created about 80% digitally, and the rest by hand, but it works as a digital piece as I have made use of the scanner.
If you had to do this project again, what would you do differently?
If I had to do this project again, I think I would pick a more obvious topic. By picking this specific topic, I feel the possibilites were endless in creating designs, and this meant it was difficult at times to make the message clear in your designs.
No comments:
Post a Comment